Kapalbhati Pranayama needs to breathe coordination at a higher rate and thence, a higher rate of metabolism muscle activity, that made strengthening of the metabolism muscles and resulted in improvement of respiratory organ operate. In Kapalbhati Pranayama we exhale with stroke. Most important point to remember is that when you are exhaling while doing Kapalbhati Pranayama assume that all the mental and physical disorder are kicked out of your body and mind also. Keep assuming that feeling in every stroke of exhaling. It is simple and easy to do Pranayam but having a powerful effect.
The word “kapalbhati” comes from two words, Kapal and Bhati. Meaning of Kapal is skull ( in common word head, which includes all the organs under the skull too) and the meaning of bhati is lighting, illuminating. According to Gherand Samhita Kapalbhati is the most important in the process of shatkarm (shatkriya) and in this Samhita. There are three types of kapalbhati as follow:
Related: Yoga Teacher Training in India
It is a practice same as Bhastrika, which a technique of Pranayama, except that exhalation, is active whereas inhalation is passive, that is opposite of normal breathing.
It follows the same as Jala neti. This process involves sniffing water through the nostrils and letting it flow down into the mouth and then spitting it out.
Can be thought of the reverse of Vyutkrama Kapal/Bhati, within which water is taken through the mouth so expelled through the nose. Due to the method, the organs below the skull (mainly the brain) and also the little brain are influenced in a very smart manner. Therefore the word is employed in this means.
Steps of Kapalbhati Pranayama
- First, sit on the Padmasana and close your eyes and keep the spine straight.
- Now take a deep breath (inhale deeply) through your both nostrils until your lungs are full with air.
- Now Exhale through both nostrils forcefully, so your stomach will go deep inside. As you exhale you feel some pressure in your stomach.
- While the process of exhaling there is a hissing sound, at this point try to think that your disorders are coming out of your nose.
- Repeat this process for 5 minutes.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
- It Generates heat in the system to help dissolve toxins and waste matter.
- Adds luster and beauty to your face.
- Improves digestion, Improves the function of kidneys and liver.
- Daily practice of kapalbhati can cure the all intestinal problems.
- It helps reduce stress in the eyes, thus curing dark circles around the eyes.
- Improves the blood circulation problem in whole body parts.
- It also helps in regaining poise in emotions.
- If you have acid or heat-related gastric problems, such as ulcers you should use caution with Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- Kapalbhati is not to be practiced by those people who are suffering from high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke or epilepsy.