Postion: – Sitting position
Pranav Pranayama is a Sanskrit word which means ‘Sacred syllable Om’. The Sanskrit name for the linguistic unit is pranava, from a root letter of the alphabet “to shout, sound, praise, verbal pra-nu- being authenticated as “to build a buzzing or droning sound” within the Brahmanas, and taking the particular that means of “to utter the linguistic unit om” within the Chandogya Upanishad and therefore the Shrauta Sutras.
Pranav Pranayama is the simplest pranayama among the all, and it is the last pranayam according to “Patanjali yoga sutra”. You can also say this, as 2 or 3 minutes instant meditation. People in all the age group can practice Pranav Pranayama. In this pranayama you have to keep your concentration on your breathing (inhaling and exhaling) or you can focus on the word Om in your mind while your inhaling and exhaling, it’s your choice whether focusing on your breathe or the word Om.
Steps for Pranav Pranayama
- Sit in the Padmasana, Vajransana or sukhasana, as you wish.
- Keep your eyes closed, your spine and head should be straight.
- Keep your fingers in ‘Gyan mudra’.
- Focus on your normal breathing as you inhale and exhale or while normal breathing you can also focus on the word Om in your mind.
- Become centered within yourself and feel your connection with the positive energies which is present in the Universe.
- Do this process for 2 or 3 minutes.
- After two or three minutes raise your hands above your head and rub your palms together for about 20 seconds.
- After that place your palms over your eyes, feel the warmness of your palms over your eyes.
- Now slowly – slowly open your eyes (don’t open your eyes immediately) with your hands still in front of your eyes.
- After that slowly lower down your hands and completely open your eyes.
- You can also increase the time limit from 2 minutes to 1 hour as per your available time.
Benefits of Pranav Pranayama
- Helps in High blood pressure and heart problems.
- With the help of this, mind becomes steady, lower mental tension, agitation etc.
- Helpful in curing Paralysis and migraines.
- Italso relieves tension, anger and anxiety.
- It is the Excellent breathing exercises for meditation.
- Effective againsthypertension.
- It curesproblems related to sleep (Insomnia) and bad dreams.
- Control the high blood pressureand cure it.
- All ages people can try this breathing exercise including pregnant women.
- It relaxes the mind and lowers stress level.
- Helps in high blood pressure and other heart problems.
Bhramari, Udgeeth, and Pranav pranayama these three Pranayama will be practiced one after the other without any interruption. Your eyes should be closed throughout these Pranayama. Do all the Pranayama early in the morning if possible otherwise you can try in evening also but keep a several time gap between your meal and Pranayam. Practiced Pranayama in fresh air.