The name “Chakrasana” comes from the Sanskrit words “Chakra” which means wheel, and meaning of Asana is “Posture” or “seat”. Chakrasana or the wheel pose is a backward bending yoga asana. Chakra in Sanskrit means Wheel. In Wheel Pose, the final position looks like a wheel, hence the name. It gives great flexibility to the spine. It is called chakrasana since the body takes almost a wheel-like, semi-circular posture while performing this asana.
English name: – Wheel Pose
Sanskrit name: – Chakrasana
Pose type: – backbend, stretch, inversion, balance.
Body position: – Supine
Level: – Advanced
Another name: – Urdva Dhanurasana ( Upward-Facing Bow Pose).
Steps of Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
- Lie down on your back with feet apart, bend your knees and place your feet on the ground close to your body.
- Now bring your palms under your shoulders such that the fingers point towards the shoulders and the elbows are shoulder-width apart.
- Inhale and press your palms firmly into the floor.
- Lift your shoulders and elbow firmly into the floor
- Your Feet should be pressed firmly into the floor.
- Inhale and lift your hips up.
- The spine should be rolled up so that it may seem to resemble a semi-circular arch or wheel.
- Straighten out your arms and legs as much as possible so that the hips and chest maybe pushed up.
- Hold this pose for at least 15-30 seconds.
- To go back to original, bend your elbows to lower your head and shoulders to the floor.
- Then bend your knees and bring your spine and hips back to the ground and relax.
Benefits of Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
- Chakrasana strengthens liver, pancreas, and kidneys.
- Excellent for the heart.
- Good for infertility, asthma, and osteoporosis.
- Wheel Pose Strengthens arms, shoulders, hands, wrists, and legs.
- Stretches the chest and lungs
- Strengthens the arms and wrists, legs, buttocks, abdomen, and spine
- Stimulates the thyroid and pituitary glands.
- Increases energy and counteracts depression.
Cautions of Chakrasana
- Do not try this Yoga Pose in case of back injury.
- If you are suffering from heart problems, then don’t try this.
- A headache, Diarrhea, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- High or low blood pressure.
- Do not perform this if suffering from any cardiac or spinal problems.
- Avoid if suffering from a hernia.