Rajakapotasana (King Pigeon Pose) is the Advanced level of Pigeon pose, In Sanskrit “Raja” means King and the meaning of kapot is Pigeon and Asana means Pose, posture or seat. king pigeon Pose is rehearsed in a situated position. It is a reclined or backbend pose that makes the mid-section puff up, in this manner taking after the position of a pigeon. This is the way this asana is named Raja (lord) kapot (pigeon) asana (posture). Rajkapotasana is a propelled yoga posture. This is the second level of Kapotasana and also known as Ek Pada Rajakapotasana (One – legged King Pigeon Pose). Before doing this practice its basic level.
Level of Asana: Advanced
Preparatory Poses: –
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Cow Pose (Gomukhasana)
- Bound Angle Pose (Baddha Konasana)
- Bridge Pose (Setu bandhasana)
- Reclining Hero Pose (Supta Virasana)
- Reclining Bound Angle Pose (Supta Baddha Konasana)
- Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)
- Extended Side Angle Pose (Utthita Parsvakonasana)
- Triangle Pose (Utthita Trikonasana)
Follow-Up Poses: –
- Half Spinal Twist Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Standing Forward Bend Pose (Uttanasana)
- Downward-facing Dog pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
Also Known As: – Ek Pada Rajakapotasana (One-legged King Pigeon Pose)
Steps of King Pigeon Pose (Rajakapotasana)
- Begin off on your fours, ensuring your knees are set directly under your hips and your hands somewhat in front of your shoulders.
- After that tenderly slide your right knee forward, with the end goal that it is simply behind your right wrist. During this, keep your right shin under your torso, and acquire your right foot front of your left knee. The exterior of your right shin must lie on the floor.
- Gradually, slide your left leg to the back. Rectify your knee, and drop the front of your thighs to the floor. Bring down the exterior of your right backside on the floor. Place your right heels before your left hip.
- You can also point your right knee towards the right, to such an extent that it is outside the line of the hip.
- Your left leg ought to broaden itself straight out of the hip. Ensure it is not turned or bent to your left side. Now rotate it inwards, with the end goal that its midline is squeezed against the floor.
- After that, take a long and deep breath; while you breathe out bend left leg from the knees. At that point, push your middle back and extend as much as you can so that your head touches your foot.
- Raise your arms, tenderly collapsing them at your elbows. Utilize your hands to bring your foot towards your head.
- Keep up the upright position of your pelvis. Push it down. At that point, lift the lower edges of your rib confine against the weight of the push.
- For lifting up your mid-section (Chest), push the highest point of your sternum straight up and towards the roof.
- Remain in this position around 30 to 60 seconds.
- Now put down your hands back to the floor and put your left knee down. Slowly slide your left knee forward.
- Breathe out and get into the Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- Rest for sometime; returned on your fours and relax. As you breathe out, do the asana with your left leg forward and right leg at the back.
- Repeat this process with your right leg forward and once with your left leg forward.
Benefits of the King Pigeon Pose (Rajakapotasana)
- Rajakapotasana stretches your entire lower body.
- It massages your abdominal organs, thereby improving digestion.
- Strengthens your back and it relieves in back problems like sciatica.
- KIng Pigeon pose opens up your hips and makes your hips more flexible.
- The profound stretch calms the body of anxiety and tension.
- It opens up the mid-section (chest) and reinforces the crotch.
- king pigeon pose likewise enhances the working of the urinary and regenerative frameworks (reproductive systems).
Practice this pose under the supervision of an expert yoga trainer coz it is an advance pose. One false stretch could harm you. If you are a beginner then don’t attempt this Pose, do this pose after one or two months regular practice of yoga.
In case of ankle, sacroiliac, or knee injury avoid this. Pregnant women and people who have tight thigh also avoid this.
Morning time is the best for practicing Yoga Asana, Pranayama and meditation, so try to practice Yogic activities in morning time. If you are not able to touch your feet to your head, then do as much as you can.