The word Setu Bandha comes from the Sanskrit word “Setu” which means Bridge; and the meaning of Bandha, is Lock or bind, and Asana means Posture, pose or seat. Pronunciation of Setubandhasana is SAY-tuh-bun-DHAHS-ana. This Pose called Setu Bandha because in this Asana when we try the pose of this Asana, our body looks like a bridge.
Setu – Bridge; Bandha – Bind, Lock; Asana – Pose, Posture or seat. This yoga pose is pronounced as SAY-tuh-bun-DHAHS-ana.
English Name: – Bridge Pose.
Sanskrit Name: – Setu Bandha. (Spinal lift pose).
Preparatory Pose: – Savasana.
Table of Contents
Steps of Setu Bandhasana(Bridge Pose)
- At first, lie down on your back.
- After that bend or Fold your knees and keep your feet and hip distance apart on the floor.
- Distance should be10-12 inches from your pelvis. Along with knees and ankles in a straight line.
- Take your arms beside your body, and your palms should facing down.
- Now inhaling, slowly lift your lower back, middle back and upper back off the floor.
- Now gently roll in the shoulders; touch the chest to the chin without bringing the chin down, supporting your weight with your shoulders, arms, and feet.
- Now feel your bottom firm up in this pose. Keep your Both thighs are parallel to each other and to the floor.
- You may interlace the fingers and push the hands on the floor to lift the torso a little more up, or you could support your back with your palms.
- Keep breathing normally and slowly.
- Remember to hold the posture for 30 seconds or one minute, and exhale as you gently release the pose.
Benefits of the Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
- Bridge Pose gives Strength to your back muscles.
- It relieves the tired back instantly.
- Stretches chest, neck, and spine.
- Gives calmness to brain, reduce the level of anxiety, stress, and depression
- Setu Bandhasana Opens up your lungs and reduces thyroid problems.
- Improves digestion.
- Good for women in menopause and menstrual pain.
- Helpful in asthma, osteoporosis, and sinusitis high blood pressure.
- This Yoga Pose calms the brain and rejuvenates your tired legs.
Cautions of the Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
- Do not try or avoid doing this pose if you are suffering from neck and back injuries.
- At first be perfect in basic Asanas, once you perfect then try this Asana. If you are beginner than the master in basic Asanas after that try this Yoga Pose.
- Do all the Asanas in under the supervision of yoga instructor.