Supta Baddha Konasana(Reclining Bound Angle Pose)
Supta Baddha Konasana is a complete resting or relaxing Pose. Supta Baddha Konasana is also famous for its hip opening benefits. Reclining Bound Angle Pose is Very simple to perform with numerous benefits. The best part of Supta Baddha Konasana is that anybody can perform it easily. This asana is also known by Reclined Cobbler’s Pose or the Reclined Goddess Pose. After your Yoga season, you can try Supta Baddha Konasana for releasing the stress from your mind as well as Body.
Scientific Aspects of Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose)
Supta Baddha Konasana is wonderful Pose, which gives you complete relaxation and couple of minutes. Along with Reclining Bound Angle Pose rejuvenates & refresh your mind, body & soul. Supta Baddha Konasana stretches your inner thighs. It also improves your blood circulation at the lower belly part. Hence it stimulates your digestive system and reproductive organs. Apart from that, it helps to opens up your chest as well as broadens your collarbones, shoulders.
Asana Name – Reclining Bound Angle Pose
Sanskrit Name – Supta Baddha Konasana (सुप्तबद्धकोणासन)
Other Names – Reclined Goddess Pose, Reclined Cobbler’s Pose
Level of Asana – Basic
- Hero Pose (Virasana)
- Reclining hand-to-big-toe pose (Supta Padangusthasana)
- Cobbler Pose (Baddha Konasana)
- Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)
Follow – Up Asanas
- Supta – Idle, inactive, resting, asleep
- Kona – Angle
- Asana – Pose, Posture, Seat
Focusing Chakra – The Sacral Chakra (Svadisthana)
How to perform Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose)
- Lie down straight on the floor and slowly bend your both knees. Now, keep your feet together, outer edges of feet on the ground. And Keep your heels just near to your groin.
- Place your palms just close to your hips. Breathe out but note you’re your abdominal muscles contracts when you move tailbone to your pubic bone.
- At that time, you feel the enlargement in your lower back. And when you tilt you also feel the stability in your back/spine. For a few seconds remaining in this position.
- Next, you’ve to breathe in and breathe out. With breathe out open up your knees in a way that it makes the good stretch in your inner things & groin.
- Remember that, don’t arch your spine forcefully or not give any strain in your spine. At that time, place the shoulders away from the neck in a relaxed way.
- After that, remain in this posture around 30 to 60 seconds (breathe slowly & deeply).
- Discharge/release the pose, as you breathe out.
- Before releasing completely press your lower back and knees to the ground for the last stretch.
- In Supta Baddha Konasana, you can place your hands in two ways. Either place your hands under your head or keep them side but palms facing upwards.
- For the first time, you feel some stress or strain in your inner thighs and in your groin area.
- To overcome this, slowly lift your feet off from the ground.
- Breathe deeply throughout the process.
Alteration of Pose (Advance)
- Alteration of pose is only for advanced practitioners.
- You can increase the stretch in your inner thigh and in the groin by pulling up your pelvis up.
- For making it easy you may place a block under the pelvis. Now press your soles and knees together on the floor.
Benefits of the Reclining Bound Angle Pose (Supta Baddha Konasana)
- Supta Baddha Konasana stretches your groin, knees, and thighs.
- It helps to open up your hips and also gives flexibility to the hip flexors.
- Reclining Bound Angle strengthens your legs, spine.
- It improves the function of reproductive systems & digestive system.
- Daily practice of Supta Baddha Konasana stimulates the bladder, kidneys, prostate gland, and ovaries.
- Reclining Bound Angle Pose makes your heart for better functioning by which the circulation of blood is improved.
- It is a belief that it kicks out tension, stress, and depression (mild level of depression).
- Supta Baddha Konasana rejuvenates & and boos the energy level of your body.
- Reclining Bound Angle Pose relaxes & calms your mind by eliminating insomnia and fatigue.
- Supta Baddha Konasana lower down the stress in your nervous system, thus it relieves headaches.
- In case of groin, knee, shoulder, hip injury avoid Supta Baddha Konasana.
- If you have a pain or any strain in your lower back doesn’t practice Reclining Bound Angle Pose.
- For pregnant women, it’s better if they avoid Supta Baddha Konasana (or if they want to perform then always prefer a trainer). Just after the delivery, strictly avoid Reclining Bound Angle Pose for 8 weeks. Because after delivery the muscles of the pelvic and groin is not firmed enough.
- Clean your Yoga mat regularly & always put on comfortable wearing during the practice.
- Always prefer a well-certified yoga trainer for your practice. Because Yogic activities need correct guidance. Any incorrect steps can harm you.
- Keep a several hours gap between in your meal & practice.
- It’s strict advice that, follow the instruction carefully and perform the Yogic activities in a correct way.
(Don’t worry about the result, just enjoy your work)