Supta Virasana (Reclining Hero Pose)
Meaning of “Supta” is reclined and it is a Sanskrit word and the word “Vira” is derived from the word of Sanskrit. In Sanskrit the meaning of “Vira” is hero or a warrior; and Asana stands for Pose, posture or sit. Supta Virasana is a reclined form of Virasana in which your upper body reclines backwards in a way that your back rests on the floor or ground. Your arms rest on the floor to the side of your trunk, with palms facing upward. Supta Virasana is the next level of Virasana. Before practicing this Asana you have to perfect in simple form of Virasana. Once you master in Virasana then go for Supta Virasana.
The Supta Reclining Hero Pose (Virasana) is viewed as an intermediate level posture. It is not an extremely well known posture as the stance itself is marginally troublesome. Be that as it may, acing this stance has numerous advantages for ranges, for example, the crotch, thighs, mid-region, knees, and lower legs et cetera.
Preparatory Poses: – Virasana (Hero Pose), Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), Balasana (Child Pose).
Follow Up Poses: – Bakasana (Crane Pose), Baddha Konasana (Bond Angle Pose), Padmasana (Lotus Pose).
Position: – Reclined
Level: – Intermediate
Steps of Supta Virasana (Reclined Hero Pose)
- First get into the pose of Virasana (Hero Pose).
- Keep your hands beside your sides.
- Breathe out and lean backwards towards the ground.
- Put your weight on to your hands and after that your elbows and lower arms.
- When you are inclining toward your elbows, place your hands at the back (on the pelvis)
- Then discharge the buttocks and lower back by forcing/pushing yourself downwards towards your tailbone.
- You may finish reclining by going towards the floor or by reclining with support.
- You can use two blankets of same height for your support. These blankets help you while you are leaning downwards.
- Remain in the position for about 30 to 60 seconds or up to 60 seconds.
- Once you are master in it, you can hold it for 5 minutes..
Benefits of Supta Virasana (Reclined Hero Pose)
- strengthens your aches and stretches your quadriceps.
- Supta Virasana is beneficial in the treatment of sciatica.
- Reclined Hero pose helps in sleeping disorders like insomnia.
- Improves digestion.
- It helps to relieve menstrual pain symptoms.
- Stretches your abdomen, deep hip flexors, ankles and thighs.
- Asthma and other diseases like arthritis can also be treated by this pose.
- It is beneficial in headaches, colds, flat feet, infertility, and menstrual problems e.t.c.
If you have any problems related to knee, ankle and spine then avoid this pose. Perform all the yogic activities in under the supervision of certified yoga teacher, and concern doctor before doing any Asana.
Try to do all the Yogic activities in early in the morning. And keep a 6 hours gap between your meals and your practice.
“Be vegetarian and be healthy”