Utthita Parsvakonasana (Extended Side Angle Pose)
Extended Side Angle Pose is accustomed pose and refers to the basic level. Utthita Parsvakonasana leads to stretch your body in a gentle way. Beginners should take Extended Side Angle Pose in their Yoga regime. Utthita Parsvakonasana helps you to get general stretching and shaping your body as per the needs of Yoga.
Name of Asana: – Extended Side Angle Pose
Sanskrit Name: – Utthita Parsvakonasana
Asana Level: – Basic
Asana Style: – Hatha Yoga
Meaning: – Utthita – stretched, extended, Parsva – side and Kona stands for Angle.
- Hero Pose (Virasana)
- Extended Triangle Pose (Utthita Trikonasana)
- Accomplished Pose (Siddhasana)
- Downward Facing Dog Pose (Svanasana)
- Warrior Pose II (Virabhadrasana II)
- Upavistha Konasana
- Supta Baddha Konasana
- Reclined Hero Pose (Supta Virasana)
- Prasarita Padottanasana
- Supta Padangusthasana
Steps of Extended Side Angle Pose (Utthita Parsvakonasana)
- Take a standing Position on the floor/Yoga mat and keep some between your both legs(you’ve to place your both heels parallel to each other).
- Next, turn your right foot in other direction opposites to your left leg. By your left toes make an angle of 45 degrees.
- Breathe out along with twist (bend) your right knee but your thighs should be equal to the ground or floor.
- Keep your knee above your ankle in the line with your first two toes.
- Put the base of your big toe strongly grounded onto the mat/floor and your thigh ought to be rolled in the directions of your little toes.
- Breathe in and intensify your lower belly (in a way that it sucks in and pulling upward). Then, breathe out and extend your body towards the right leg.
- Put down your right arm and you may keep your elbow on your right thigh or you can keep your hand on the ground but outside to your right foot.
- Raise your left arm towards the ceiling. Bend the upper left arm to your face along with try to reach beyond your head. But at this moment you should keep your left arm just next to your left ear or your left arm touches left ear.
- Next step, press your left foot onto the ground. Roll your right side hips slowly.
- Note that, you’ve to keep your neck and spine extended (stretch both as much as possible). Both your spine & neck are on the same line.
- Look towards your left arm or set your gaze to the left side.
- Change the position of your ribcage towards the roof or facing ceiling. Set your feet strongly to the ground. Don’t tighten your face keep it soft with a relaxed back.
- Pause (hold) the position for 15 to 30 seconds. Breathe in deeply and come to the position of Tadasana rest for a while.
- Repetition for Utthita Parsvakonasana is one side each.
What are the Benefits of Utthita Parsvakonasana (Extended Side Angle Pose)
Here are some mind-blowing benefits of Extended Parsvakonasana given below.
- Utthita Konasana is quite simple & easy to do Pose, which increases your stamina.
- With stretching Extended Side Angle Pose also strengthens your legs, knees and ankles, spine, Groin, and Thorax.
- Utthita Konasana triggers your abdominal organs and gives you a good digestive system.
- Give a handsome stretch to your shoulder blades, chest, back, waist and lungs.
- Extended Side Angle Pose is also beneficial in menstrual pain, lower region backaches, constipation, sciatica, infertility.
Tips for our beginners
Utthita Parsvakonasana is easy but as beginners, you may feel some difficulties. So, for this relaxes your forearm over your thigh with bend knee instead of this you can also use some block for assisting your hand.
Here are some vital point of precautions as well as Contraindications.
Not to gaze at your stretched arm, if you have neck injury in its place look down or straight. Don’t perform Utthita Parsvakonasana in the problem of High blood pressure, Headache, and insomnia. In Leg, elbow or any kinds of knee injury avoid Extended Side Parsvakonasana.
(Your present builds your Future)