Shankhaprakshalana Benefits (Natural way of Cleansing)
Have you ever think about your stomach? Shankhaprakshalana comes under the category of Shatkarma or Shatkriya (six activities of cleansing, Shankhaprakshalana is one of them) and under the dhauti kriya. All we know that in a year there are 365 days. But we load our stomach throughout the year. For full body detoxification here is the interesting but very effective way to clean your stomach.
Note that most of the health-related problem is born form stomach. So, once or twice in 6 month follow the Shankhaprakshalana if you really want to make your stomach happy. Be with us till the end, here we uncover the most effective technique for cleansing your stomach.
Shankhaprakshalana is derived from the Sanskrit word. In which Shanka refers to “conch” and the meaning of Prakshalana is cleaning or washing out. In simple words, you can say that it is the natural way of the cleansing process. It is the best and the effective way to clean your digestive system. For this, you don’t have to pay a huge amount. Shankhaprakshalana also known as “varisar dhauti” (Vari is the synonym of Water in Hindi).
In this, Shankha is representing as the whole alimentary canal (Mouth to anus). In simple word, Shankhaprakshalana is the simple and unique process to clean your intestinal tract by kicking out the toxins or impurities with salty water.
Now come to its Historical facts or background
The texts of Ayurveda & Yoga tell the importance of cleansing process (cleaning of stomach bowel). From Ancient times out Sages & Rishis perform the Shankaprakshalana for detoxification of the body or remove toxins from the body by drinking water and performing specific Asana. They observe and realize a yogic bowel cleansing technique is safe as well as best for removing toxin materials. They are impressed by its positive response. So that’s why they wrote this technique in the form of text for upcoming generations.
Basically, Shankhaprakshalana is mentioned in the context of Hatha Yoga Pradipika & Gherand Samhita. Thus Shankaprakshalana is also the part of an Ayurvedic technique which is famous by its name “Kaya Kalpa” (An Ayurvedic way of physical transformation as well as purification). Kaya refers to body and kalpa stands for transformation.
What’s the concept?
In Shankhaprakshalana you have to drink 4 to 6 glass of Luke warm water little bit salt, and lemon drops added. After consuming the water you have to perform specific Asana, if you feel the pressure then go to the toilet and after that again drink water and perform Asana till you feel the pressure (Imitate the process till the clean water is coming out from your Anus).
Preparation for Shankhaprakshalana
- Take 1 or 2 liters of lukewarm water to add 2 teaspoons of salt (per liter) to the water and you need one lemon juice/Liter.
- Now quickly drink two or 4 four glass (maximum 6 glass) one after the other and perform the Asana which is given below 6 to 8 times each.
- Again drink two or more glasses of warm salty water then again repeat the Asana for 6 to 8 times/Asana.
- Follow the same procedure, until the water is finished or clean water comes from your Anus.
So, your confusion is clear between Laghu Shankhaprakshalana & Dirga Shankhaprakshalana.
Laghu Shankhaprakshalana (short cleansing process)
In this version of the cleansing technique, you have to drink water as much as you can and perform the Asana. Also, you have to go to the toilet until you are comfortable. Less amount of water is passing out in Laghu Shankhaprakshalana. If you are new please try Laghu Shankhaprakshalana after that go for master Cleansing Process.
Master Cleansing Process (Dirga Shankhaprakshalana)
You have to drink water and perform asana until you feel the pressure and clean water has come from your Anus. In Laghu Shankhaprakshalana you don’t have to wait for clear water evacuated. But in Master cleansing process you have to wait for it, and it takes times so that’s why it is named so anus. As pressure comes rapidly fewer stools and wore water will be passed out from Anus. At first or second pressure it may be possible that hard stool pass out. As you drink salty water and repeat the asana the rate of pressure is increases and cloudy yellow water and finally clear water will be evacuated (But the color of water may vary from person to person.
Best time for starting Shankhaprakshalana
In the morning start your process in between 5 to 7 Am. Try to finish your season before 7 AM.
Best place for practice
Choose that place in which the adequate toilet facilities are available. If you are practice Shankhaprakshalana in the garden or open area please check the facility of the toilet. If the toilet facility is available then it’s good to perform the cleansing technique in the open and fresh air. But make sure where you practice the environment should be relaxed and calm.
Now come to the main section, Asana (6 Yoga Poses for Shankhaprakshalana)
Perform Tiryaka Tadasana without lifting your heels.
- Waist Twisting Posture (Kati Chakrasana)
- Swaying Cobra Pose (Tiryaka Bhujangasana)
- Spinal Twisting Pose (Udarakarshansana)
These are the 6 Asanas; it will help you to make your pressure after taking salty water.
What type of meal should you take?
After completing the Cleansing Process (Shankhaprakshalana) you should take easily to digest food means very light meal (not spicy as well as not too much oily). A mixture of rice and split green gram (Moong dal) with some cow ghee (clarified butter). The 3 major components of the Khichri are beneficial in the restoration and improve the function of the digestive system. The pulses give the easy to digest source of protein and Cow ghee is a mandate to coat the walls of the intestine. And rice gives carbohydrates and produces mucus, which helps to protect the inner lining of your alimentary canal. Take the Khichri also in your lunch or dinner also you can drink buttermilk.
After taking your meal its compulsory to not to sleep at least for 3 hours, when 3 hours pass to take some rest.
- Avoid hard physical or mental work and don’t talk too much. You feel some weakness, headache or you feel mild pain in your waist so don’t be panic.
- Perform the Master cleansing technique once in 3 or 6 months.
- You need highly well certified as well as a trained teacher for this, without any proper guidance don’t try this.
- During the process when water comes out from the stomach through Anus it may little uncomfortable but at that time be calm & relaxed.
- Mentally prepare yourself for Master Shankhaprakshalana.
- At the starting stage, solid stool will pass out after that mixture of salty water and stool appears.
- In the final stage, clear yellowish water will come out. Keep your eyes on your stool to check the color of your stool.
- Be ready for 5 or more trips to the toilet to clear your stomach.
Benefits of Shankhaprakshalana
- Shankhaprakshalana is the natural way of cleansing, so it removes toxins and rejuvenates our whole intestine.
- So, it kicks out all the problems related to the digestive system (indigestion, constipation, gas, bloating, and acidity).
- Surely, it improves the functions of your intestine.
- Best for diabetic people along with it maintain your body weight (helps to burn the extra calories).
- You feel younger and more energetic by this you gain the confidence.
- Master Shankhaprakshalana is also good for your skin.
- If you went through to any kind of surgery or if you are physically weal avoid Shankhaprakshalana.
- Pregnant women or in the time of periods strictly avoid this technique.
- In the case of back pain or spine pain don’t try this.
- Perform Shankhaprakshalana in under the supervision of an expert teacher.
- The day after the Shankhaprakshalana takes easily to digest meal for one week.
- Avoid smoking, chewing tobacco, alcohol after this process.
- Avoid adding salt with water if you are a patient of High BP.
(Your hard work never went up to smoke)