Utthan Pristhasana (Lizard Pose)
Utthan Pristhasana is made from the two combinations “Utthan Pristha”; and it is a Sanskrit word. In this Utthan stands for stretch out and the meaning of Pristha is the page of a book or Back of the body and Asana represents seat, pose or posture. While performing this pose, your body looks like the position of the Lizard. So that’s why this pose is called Lizard pose. It is a simple to do asana for learners and this Yoga pose is one of the vital poses in the Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation). Utthan Pristhasana opens your chest, shoulders, and Hip and it has many variations.
Lizard Pose is a basic level Yoga Pose that stretches and strengthens your inner hamstrings, groin.
Steps of UTTHAN PRISTHASANA (LIZARD POSE)
- First get into the position of Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward facing dog pose) on the floor or yoga mat.
- Keep your right foot in between your hands, your foot is little wider than your shoulders (for this place your foot heel-toe in the direction of the edge of the yoga mats).
- After that, keep your hips towards forward and down.
- Then, gently walk towards to your hands until it comes down onto your forearms. Now place your forearms on the floor along with keeping your chest open.
- Now, slowly lengthens your spine and draw your shoulder blades together out of your back.
- Place your right knee towards the middle line and look straight.
- Maintain the pose around 30 to 60 seconds. After that release your position.
- Repeat the same process with your alternate leg. Try to repeat the pose 3 times with your both legs; this will give you better output (result).
- By practicing Utthan Pristhasana at least thrice (by both sides) will bring the better results.
You can use a block or folded blanket for support and keep your forearm on this block. In Any yoga Asana please focus on your breathing. You can also place your leg in between your hands, instead of your forearms side. You can also let down your left knee for support to the floor if you are uncomfortable.
BENEFITS OF LIZARD POSE (UTTHAN PRISTHASANA)
- Utthan Pristhasana opens your chest, shoulders, hip flexors, groins, and hamstrings.
- Calms your mind and best stress buster.
- Helps to open the hamstrings, hip flexors, and groins.
- Lizard Pose Makes your inner thigh muscles and quadriceps stronger.
- Good for your neck; it gently massages your internal organs.
- Lizard Pose is a simple Asana but very effective for your body, mind and soul.
- This Yoga pose is very good for your hip opening.
In the condition of lower back pain, sciatica, forearm pain avoids this Asana. Try to practice all the Yoga Asana in the morning with empty stomach. Guidance is necessary for all the Asana, so perform all the yogic activities in front of the expert trainer.
While practicing listen to your body, and don’t go beyond over your capabilities.
(You have only one life; it’s all up to your make it or destroys it. Embrace the yoga as your lifestyle. This is not costing you but gives you a lot in term of mind, body, and soul. In Yoga daily practice is the most important thing, so practice regularly for better results).