Urdhva Padmasana – Lotus Pose in Headstand
This Yoga pose is a variation of headstand Pose (Sirsasana) or you can say it next level of Sirsasana. In this Urdhva means – Inverted or upward, Padma– Lotus. This asana is a combination of Sirsasana+ Padmasana while doing this you have to perform both poses at the same time and that’s why it is named as Louts in Headstand Pose. Before doing this Yoga pose, you have to practice or master in some basic asana like – Urdhva Dandasana, Dolphin Pose, Dolphin Plank Pose and Sirsasana (Headstand). After practicing these asanas or mastering in it goes for Lotus Pose in Headstand.
First, practice headstand with the support of wall and slowly try to bend your legs one by one into the position of Lotus pose, but you have to master in Sirsasana first before performing Urdhva Padmasana. Urdhva Padmasana comes under the list of difficult Yoga pose so be careful because any fall can cause serious injury.
Level of Asana: – Advanced.
Steps of Urdhva Padmasana (Lotus Pose in Headstand)
- First, place the yoga mat with folded blanket for your head safety and support. After that, get into the position of Sirsasana (Classical headstand Pose).
- In the beginning, you may take the support of wall for your comfort; take your colleague or a friend help for preventing you from any fall and for your safety also.
- After that, gently bend your right leg and put it on your left thigh, and place your left leg on your right (interlock both legs same as lotus pose or during Sirsasana perform lotus pose).
- After performing Lotus pose, hold the position along with try to maintain your balance as much as you can. During the final position, breathe normally.
- For discharging the Asana, straighten your legs and put down slowly on the floor.
- Now take some rest in the Corpse Pose (Shavasana).
(Use folded Blanket and places it under your head, First, clear the basic level yoga poses and master in Sirsasana then go for Urdhva Padmasana (Lotus Pose in Headstand). Be Patience keep your mind calm during practicing asana. Perform asana in a correct way and in a systematic manner and daily practice is a very important part of any Yoga pose)
Benefits of Urdhva Padmasana – Lotus Pose in Headstand
- In Ancient age, it is said that many Rishi’s performed this pose for “Tapasya” (Austerity).
- Best for celibacy (Brahmacharya in Hindi) or who obey the rules of Brahmacharya.
- Good for your brain, coz the flow of blood is increased towards brain during this pose.
- Lotus Pose in Headstand gives all the benefits of classical headstand or you get same benefits like Sirsasana.
- Beneficial in many nervous related problems and in glandular disorders also.
- Urdhva Padmasana can help to improve memory and remove tiredness during mental work.
- Lotus yoga Pose in Headstand Kick out tiredness and improves your memory.
Avoid Lotus Pose in Headstand if you have Shoulder, hip, knee, wrist or back injury. Pregnant women, people having high B.P. or heart condition strictly avoid this. Try to sit in the lotus pose when you are comfortable then practice Sirsasana after that try this. Perform all the Yoga poses in front of trained person.