English Name: – The Auspicious pose.
Position: – sitting
Swastikasana is a Sanskrit word and which is made up from combinations of Su+Asti+ka, in this ‘Su’ means good, meaning of ‘Asti’ is ‘existence’ and “ka” stands for to make. Swastikasana is a simple meditation Pose. People who feel difficulties to perform Asanas like Siddhasana or Padmasana, Swastikasana is best for them. In India Swastika is a symbol of Happiness, good luck or Auspiciousness. In this Asana the position of the legs resembles the symbol of the Swastika, so that’s why this Asana is named as Swastikasana or Auspicious pose. Swastikasana (The Auspicious Pose) is simple to attempt and this is one of best Asana for meditative activity or for long sitting. This position may be described as one that helps to understand the unity of existence.
Steps of Swastikasana (The Auspicious Pose)
- First sit comfortably on the ground or floor and spread out your legs in front of you.
- Fold your left leg; keep the sole of your left leg against the inner thigh of your right leg.
- Now bend your right leg and keep your right foot in the space between left thigh and calf muscles.
- Catch your left foot by the toes and try to pull it up and place it between the right calf and thigh.
- Your knees have to firmly touch the floor.
- Maintain the pose so that you feel relax.
- Your body and trunk should erect.
- Place your hands on your knees in any mudra.
- Control on your breath. Breathing slowly and normally.
- You may also focus on the tip of your nose or center of eye brow it’s depending on the type of meditation technique.
- In the beginning try to sit for 10 to 15 minutes in this meditative pose, day by day increase the time of sitting.
Benefits of Swastikasana (Auspicious Pose)
- Itis a best meditation Asana for those people who cannot sit comfortably or find difficulties in classical poses like Padmasanaand Siddhasana.
- Those people who are suffering from varicose veins and pain in the leg muscles can perform this Asana.
- Daily practice of this meditative pose increases the concentration level.
- Give calmness to the mind.
- Suitable for everybody in any age group.
Avoid this Asana in case of sciatica and sacral infections, concern a doctor or well educated yoga expert before doing this Asana in any medical problems.