Pose Name: – Shalabhasana
Sanskrit Name: – Shalabhasana.
Meaning: – Locust or grasshopper.
In Sanskrit the word “Shalabh” stands for Locust or grasshopper which is a one type of insect, basically found in grass. While doing Shalabhasana the complete body shape seems like a locust or grasshopper structure thus this posture is additionally known as Locust pose. Shalabhasana advantages to strengthen back muscles and curing ailments like sciatica and back ache. There are total three methods for practicing Shalabhasana. We describe these methods one by one in a correct manner. This Asana is simple to do and suitable for everybody. This is the special Asana for the spine.
Steps of Shalabhasana (Locust Pose) Method 1
- Lie down on your Stomach; place both hands underneath the thighs.
- Breath in (inhale) and lift your right leg up, (your leg should not bend at the knee).
- Your chin should rest on the ground.
- Hold this position about ten to twenty seconds.
- After that exhale and take down your leg in the initial position.
- Similarly do it with your left leg.
- Repeat this for five to seven times.
- After doing it with the left leg, inhale and lift your both legs up (Your legs should not bend at the knees; lift your legs as much as you can).
- With both legs repeat the process for two to four times.
Steps of Shalabhasana (Locust Pose) Method 2
- Lie down on your stomach; straighten your right hand while touching the head and the ear. (Keep your right hand straight in the ground in resting position).
- Keep your left hand on the back.
- Now inhale; lift your head and your right hand up along with lift your left leg above the ground level.
- Hold this position for some time.
- After exhale and slowly- slowly come back to normal position.
- Similarly repeat this process with your alternate hands and legs.
Steps of Shalabhasana (Locust Pose) Method 3
- Lie down on your stomach.
- Take your both hands behind and hold the wrists of one hand with the other.
- Now inhale; at first lift your chest as much as you can and look upwards.
- Slowly lift your body from the both sides.
- Now exhale and come back to your initial position.
Benefits of Shalabhasana
- It is beneficial in all the disorders at the lower end of the spine.
- Most helpful for backache and sciatica pain.
- Useful for removing unwanted fats around abdomen, waist, hips and thighs.
- Daily practice of this Asana can cures cervical spondylitis and spinal cord ailments.
- Strengthening your wrists, hips, thighs, legs, buttocks, lower abdomen and diaphragm.
- Toughens back muscles.
Don’t practice this asana in case if any surgery has done. First of all practice Ardha Shalabhasana then practice entire Shalabhasana posture. Control your breathing while doing this pose.