Sanskrit Name: – Sarvangasana
Other Names: – Salamba Sarvangasana, Niralamba Sarvangasana
Preparatory Poses: – Virasana, Halasana
In Sanskrit Sarvangasana is the combination of two words (Sarva and anga) when these two words are combined together and form Sarvangasana. (Sarva + anga). In Sanskrit Sarva means all and anga stands for limbs or body part. In this Pose every part of the body is involves so that’s why it is known as Sarvangasana yoga pose. You can perform Sarvangasana yoga pose in two ways one method is called Salamba Sarvangasana yoga pose and another is
Niralamba Sarvangasana yoga pose. In Salamba Sarvangasana yoga pose, you use fold blanket and lie down on the blankets for your shoulder support and this is called Salamba Sarvangasana yoga pose. In second way, you have to perform this without the support of blankets and performing Sarvangasana yoga pose without support is known as Niralamba Sarvangasana. Here we described the Sarvangasana without support means Niralamba Sarvangasana. It is acknowledge as the best Asana among the all Asanas.
Steps of Sarvangasana yoga pose
- Lie down on your back straight.
- Breathe in and breathe out, lift your both legs in the upward direction.
- Stop at that point when both legs make a 90 degree angle with the floor.
- Make the Uttanpadasana Posture.
- While exhaling lift your waist; push your legs to backward over the head.
- Use your both hands for supporting waist.
- Get your legs, back and waist in one straight line.
- Stretch your toes towards sky, keep your eye on your toes.
- Hold the position for some time, keep normal breathing.
- Slowly get back to initial position.
- Repeat this for three to four times.
Benefits of Sarvangasana yoga pose
- Controls and cures the issues related to genital organs.
- Beneficial in constipation.
- Cures varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
- Useful in problems related to Ears, nose and throat.
- Vivified the blood circulatory system, digestive system and respiratory system.
- Freshen the thyroid gland; coz during pose lots of blood flows towards throat.
- Cures sexual disorders.
- Control and helps to restore seminal fluid loss through night wetting or Masturbation.
- Beneficial in Asthma, diabetes, liver disorders and intestinal disorders.
- Controls shrinking of skins and wrinkles in face.
Avoid this pose, in case of High blood pressure, Spondylitis, slip disc, middle ear problem and in weak or old people. Old people or weak people try Viparitakarani as alternate for this Asana and get all the benefits of Sarvangasana yoga pose. Use pillows when you are not able to raise body.