Pincha Mayurasana (Feathered Peacock Pose)-Steps And Benefits
Preparatory Poses: – Gomukhasana, Prasarita Padottanasana, Supta Virasana, Uttanasana, Adho Mukha Vrikshasana
Follow-Up Poses: – Shirshasana, Gomukhasana, Adho Mukha Vrikshasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana
Level of Asana: – Advanced
Pincha Mayurasana is a Sanskrit word in which Pincha means feather and Mayura stands for Peacock. This Asana is tough to perform but daily practice makes it easy. So you have to practice the simple level of Mayurasana before doing this, once you are perfect in basic level of Mayurasana then go for this. This Asana is also known as the Feathered Peacock pose.
It is a forearm stand pose which looks beautiful just like a peacock that extends its feathers out. Forearm stand gives you more steadiness than the handstand as a result of the bigger establishment that the forearms give.
Steps of Pincha Mayurasana
- Go down and rest on your belly.
- Slowly bend your elbows and keep them directly under your shoulders. Make Anjali Mudra (Namaskar Pose) by joining your palms together.
- Raise your hips up. Now slowly try to step up (walk) towards your arms, as much as you can.
- Lift up your right leg, and kick up the left leg off the floor.
- Remain in this position for few seconds.
- Keep your head remain on the floor. Ensure that your shoulders are far from your ears.
- Keep your feet perpendicular to the floor. Stay in the position as much as you can and breathe slowly. Now put down your legs slowly one by one on the floor and release the pose.
In the beginning lie down on floor, facing the wall, and use wall for balancing your legs. Your feet should touch the floor and perpendicular.
Benefits of Pincha Mayurasana (Feathered Peacock Pose)
- Pincha Mayurasana Stretches shoulders, Neck, Navel, belly and Thorax; strengthens your shoulders, back and arms.
- Improves concentration level and gives calmness to your mind.
- Kick out the stress and mild depression.
- Feathered Peacock Pose Improves your body posture.
- Makes your wrists and elbows stronger.
Avoid this if you are suffering from high blood pressure. In case of headache, back injury, neck injury or in shoulder injury don’t perform this pose.