Parivrtta Ustrasana is a variation of Ustrasana and this is an intermediate backbend pose and targets your shoulders, quads and very good chest opener. The word Ustrasana is comes from the Sanskrit word. In which Parivrtta means turned around, revolved or twisted; Ustra stands for camel and the meaning of Asana is Pose, posture or seat.
According to the text of Asana, it is believed that; Parivrtta Ustrasana opens three chakras (Energy centers in the body) which are mentioned above. Anahata chakra is associated with compassion, forgiveness, and love. Sahasrara and Visuddha are well known as spiritual chakras. Activating Visuddha is associated with authentic expression, higher communication and the highest truth of Yogi’s and Sahasrara is belongs to the source of enlightenment and divine.
Level of Asana: – Intermediate
English Name: – Revolved Camel Pose
Focusing Chakra: – The Crown chakra (Sahasrara), the heart chakra (Anahata), The Throat Chakra (Visuddha)
Steps of Parivrtta Ustrasana (Revolved Camel Pose)
- First come into the Virasana (Hero Pose), with bend knees underneath you. Now, take your hands to your soles of your feet.
- Breathe out and raise your pelvis up and far from your feet, as you move your upper body forward tuck your tailbone.
- Keep your upper legs straight (perpendicular) to the ground.
- Put your shins and feet strongly rooted on the floor or mat. Keep your both hands firmly gripped on the feet.
- After that, pull up your navel as you lift and you feel arch is forming naturally by your back.
- You should keep a strong hold by right hand on your right feet; slowly try to lift your left arm up towards the roof or ceiling.
- Draw through the arm and out of the fingertips; try to reaching up without raising your hips, feet or legs. When you lift, your body slightly bends, at that point keep your hips square as you try to align your shoulders upwards.
- Remain in this pose around 30 to 60 seconds with your eyes focusing up at the left thumb.
- Breathe out and puts down your arms back to your feet and repeat the same process with your other arm. After that return to your initial position.
(If your muscles are tight then this Yoga pose is too difficult for you, in this condition try to keep your hands on the floor or mat instead of the feet. You can also lower down your pelvis little bit. Place a folded blanket under your knees for reducing the pressure of the weight on your knees)
Benefits of Parivrtta Ustrasana| Revolved Camel Pose
- Revolved Camel Pose stimulates your digestive organs and improves your posture.
- Beneficial in menstrual discomfort and in mild back pain also.
- Helpful in asthma and other general problems of the respiratory system.
- Calms your mind and reducing anxiety, fatigue, and stress.
- Parivrtta Ustrasana stretches and strengthens your hip flexors, shoulders, abs, Quads, ankle, and groin.
If you have the recent knee injury and in the case of hypertension avoid this Yoga pose. In migraines or insomnia don’t practice this. An incorrect practice of Parivrtta Ustrasana can cause neck or back injury, so it is strictly advised that perform the asana in the correct manner and in front of an expert.
(Don’t be feel lazy get-up and start practicing Yoga)