Level: – Basic
Asana Style: – Ashtanga Yoga
Preparatory Poses: – Eka Pada Rajakapotasana, Dhanurasana, Chakrasana, Virasana, Bhujangasana, Supta Virasana
Follow-Up Poses: – Adho Mukha Svanasana, Balasana, Bharadvaja’s Twist, Pasasana
In Sanskrit the meaning of ‘Kapota’ is “Pigeon” and the meaning of Asana is seat, pose or posture. This Asana comes under the advance level. This is the advance level of Kapotasana. Advanced Pigeon Pose makes your body more flexible in ways you never imagined. You should consider including this Pose to your yoga regimen to experience its benefits. When you attempt this pose, your body looks just as the bird is. This asana gives you more energy and freedom in your mind and spine also. Advanced Pigeon Pose gives you a lot of benefits and also gives your body a good stretch.
Steps of Advance Pigeon Pose (Kapotasana)
- First get into the Ustrasana (Camel Pose).
- Breathe in and raise your lower part of your belly up. Make sure you pull it in before you lift it.
- During this, move your tailbone downwards to stable your lower back and slowly breathe out.
- Breathe in, and lift up your arms, in a way that they are close to your ears. You may put your palms together if possible.
- Breathe out and then turn backwards, ensure that your lower back is long but in stable positon. Note that there is no pain or strain while doing this Asana, if you feel some pain then do as much as you can.
- Breathe out and then go further, sternum first.
- Slowly raise your shoulders and crush your elbows towards each other. Put your head back, and remain in the pose for no less than five breaths.
- Again breathe in, and keep your arms reach the floor.
- Now press your feet into the ground or floor, and then twist your knees only as much as it is necessary to reach your palms of the hands, reaching outward each foot.
- After that continue going in reverse as you check with your lower once more every once in a while.
- Put your hands backward towards your knees in a way that your fingers touch your heels and clutch them tightly.
- Presently as you hold both your feet, crush the elbows towards each other, and push the hip forward while keeping the gape and length of your lower back in place.
- As you breathe out, twist your elbows and fix them on the floor.
- Remain in the position for about 30 seconds to one minute, or as much as you can or comfortable.
- Gently come out from the posture while keeping your breath normal. Roll on your spine and assume the Balasana or the child’s pose before you come back to normal.
- Delicately turn out from the stance while keeping normal breathing.
- Move on your spine and expect the Balasana or the kid’s stance before you return to ordinary.
Advanced Pigeon Pose Tips for Beginners
On the off chance that you are a learner, you could utilize the backing of a divider to get this posture right. Press your soles to the divider, and utilizing your head to grasp your hands, delicately incline in reverse. At that point put your crown on the divider and push your lower arms against it. This will make the practice a considerable measure less demanding.
The Benefits of Kapotasana (Advanced Pigeon Pose)
- Advanced Pigeon Pose stretches and strengthens the groin and back.
- Tones the muscles of the throat and ribcage, chest, and abdomen.
- Improves the working of the digestive system.
- Advance kapotasana increases the flexibility in your arms, thighs, spine, shoulders, hands and calf muscles.
- Maintains blood pressure and lowers down the effects of chronic diseases.
- Beneficial in urinary related disorders.
- Reduces stiffness in the hips, shoulders, and back.
- Beneficial in sciatica and makes your lungs stronger.
- Gives calmness to the mind and the body.
- It is a good stress buster.
If you feel any pain in your shoulders or spine, then don’t attempt full pose. Daily practice makes you perfect. Remember that people with tight hips or thighs won’t not have the capacity to do Advanced Pigeon Pose effortlessly. In case of hypertension, migraine, insomnia and severe back pain avoid this Asana. Take a doctor advice before doing this asana if you have chronic back problems. Do all the yogic activities in under the supervision of an expert.