Here is an amazing Asana called Akarna Dhanurasana, it comes under the intermediate level and needs more strength of your back. This Pose is totally different from the simple Dhanurasana. The word Akarna is a Sanskrit word; in which Karna means earring, ear relating to the ear, Dhanu stands for bow and the Asana represents to seat, posture or pose.
In Dhanurasana, Our body forms the shape of Bow but in The Akarna Dhanurasana, your body looks like as stretching the strings of a bow and aiming the bow. So Akarna Dhanurasana is complex pose in comparison to Dhanurasana. In this Pose your body takes the shape which is same as a bow and arrow so this Asana named so.
Preparatory Yoga Poses
Upward facing dog Pose, Setu Bandha Sarvangasana, Cobra Pose
Follow Up Yoga Poses
Ardha Matseyendrasana, Supta Padangusthasana
Level of Asana: – Intermediate
Another Name: – Archer Pose, Bow Pose, the Shooting Bow Pose, Bow to ear Pose
Focusing Chakra: – The Sacral Chakra (Svadisthana) and the Heart Chakra (Anahata)
Steps of Akarna Dhanurasana (Archer’s Yoga Pose)
- First sit comfortably on the floor with straight legs in front of you. During this keep your head, back and shoulders are straight.
- Breathe deeply and put your palms on your thighs.
- Now, breathe out along with gently slide your right hand towards your right foot. With your right hand grab the big toe of your right foot and pull it towards your face. During this, by your left hand try to reach the big toe of your left foot and grab it and hold it there.
- Breathe in deeply and pull back your right foot from your face to the right ear.
- Remain in this Pose about 30 to 60 seconds.
- After that, breathe out and slowly down your right leg and release your hands from the foot and get back to initial position.
- Repeat the same steps with your other leg.
(For maximum benefit, the pose should be performed at least twice with your both legs).
Modifications of the Pose
When you are a master in the actual pose, and then try the variation or modification pose of this asana. When you are performing the pose, use your left hand to pull the right leg to the right ear, means just opposite to an actual pose.
Benefits of Akarna Dhanurasana (Archer’s Yoga Pose)
- Archer’s Yoga Pose opens your hips and shoulders.
- Helpful in joint pain.
- Archer’s Yoga Pose Improves your digestion and good for your abdominal.
- Gives strength to your arms, back, and hips.
- Boosts the focusing level of your mind.
People who are suffering from shoulder, spinal or hips injury avoid this. Pregnant women also avoid this Asana. If you are beginner doesn’t try this Asana; the first master in the basic poses then go for this. Practice this pose in front of an expert person.
#Don’t Give Up#