Here is another excellent Asana, “Yoganidrasana”. Best Asana for relaxing your body, mind & soul. Awesome half meditation and half-sleeping yoga pose for those, who got very little time to sleep or having workloads by which they can’t take a full peaceful sleep.
The meaning of Yoganidrasana is the combination of half meditation and half-sleep. Yoganidrasana is complete your sleep along with strengthens your muscles and improves your flexibility. In 40 minutes (Performing 30 minutes Yognidrasana is for the advanced practitioner ) you can take peaceful and be relaxing yogic sleep in YogNidra but also in Yoganidrasana.
Yoganidrasana is an inverted forward bend reclined pose that focuses on the spine and hamstrings and is best for yogis and yoginis at its advanced level.
Focusing Chakra: – The Sacral Chakra (Svadisthana)
The position of Asana: – Inverted forward bend
Level of Asana: – Advanced
Table of Contents
Steps of Yoganidrasana (Sleeping Yogi Yoga Pose)
- First, come into the Savasana (Corpse pose) after that breathe in along with keeping your knees to the chest.
- Now, cross your one ankle over the other ankle make some space at the knees.
- Place your legs towards the direction of the head and reach your hands forward in between your legs.
- Keep your hands on your ankles or your lower calves and uphold (continue) to pull your legs towards the crown of the head. After that, lift your head with your shoulders off from the floor. Make sure, to keep your neck is free from strain and note that not to crowd your shoulders upward.
- Breathe in as you place your feet and ankles over your head (for pulling your head and shoulder by the space in the legs).
- Now, push your feet towards the direction of the floor over your head and keep the shoulders forward for pressing into the backs of the knees.
- Keep your heels in a way that you rest your head on them for support and comfort.
- Next step, make the prayer position by hands at close to the sternum. Interlock your fingers together to remain in the position. Raise your chest to open the lungs slowly.
- Look upward and remain in the position for 30 to 60 seconds with control breathing. When you are performing Yoganidrasana, play soothing music or music related to Yoganidrasana.
- One by one focus on your body parts and assume that all parts of your body are relaxed and your body weight is very light as the feather.
- You find some difficulties in breathing but once you are comfortable in this pose, breathing becomes easier.
- For discharging, release your hands and keep them back to the ankles.
- Put your elbows and shoulders back to the ground and come into the position of Savasana.
- Repeat the same steps with your other ankles cross in the next session of Yoganidrasana.
Tips for beginners
Perform Sleeping Yogi Yoga pose by bringing only your head through the legs. You can place your shoulder on or close to the ground in place of on top of the knees with elbows pointing out to the sides. For placing your feet over your head Practice Eka Pada Sirsasana and Utthita Parsvakonasana.
Benefits of Yoganidrasana (Sleeping Yogi Yoga pose)
- Yoganidrasana relives in stress, fatigue & relaxes your mind.
- Sleeping Yogi Yoga pose stretches and strengthens your hamstrings, hip flexors, calves and spinal muscles.
- Best hip opener posture. Yoganidrasana gives you the benefits of both meditation and half sleep.
You have to breathe deeply during the Asana. Yoganidrasana is coming under the Advanced yoga pose so, this may cause injury if attempt it in a wrong way. To perform this Asana in under the supervision of an expert person.
Avoid Yoganidrasana (Sleeping Yogi Yoga pose), in case of tight hamstrings or inflexibility; for this problem first performs other basic Asana for flexibility and hamstrings. In spinal, knee, neck, lower back or shoulder injury avoid this Pose. Attempt this pose with your trainer, if you’re attempting this pose for the first time.
(Recognize & feel your inner Spark)