The name of Bharadvajasana or Bharadvaja’s Twist is inspired from the Sage (Rishi) “Bharadvaja”; who was one of the seven Saptarshis and he was the father of Guru Drona. Rishi Bharadvaja also created the hymns from the Vedas. Bharadvajasana is also known as “seated twist pose” or “Bharadvaj twist”. This pose is comes under the intermediate level, so before doing this pose please practice basic poses regularly; after that go for intermediate pose. This pose is very simple and easy to do but perform this and other Asana in under the guidance of an expert.
Level: – Intermediate
Steps of Bharadvajasana
- First get into the Staff position (Dandasana).
- Now extend your both legs straight out in forward direction (in front of you).
- You have to keep your spine and legs erect.
- Keep your both hands along with your body and your palms should touch to the floor.
- After that you have to bend your left leg from the knee and keep it on to your thigh in a way that the sole of your left foot faces upwards.
- After that fold your right knee and keep it in the Thunderbolt Pose (Vajrasana). Here, the sole of your feet ought to confront upwards and the upper side of your feet ought to touch the floor or ground.
- You should keep your back straight.
- Keep the palm of your right hand on left knee.
- Now slowly twist your left hand from behind the body and try to touch your right foot; at this time look behind.
- Hold this position around 15 to 20 seconds. (Hold the position according to your capacity and hold your breathing also).
- Now slowly breathe out and release your arms form your back and get back to the initial position (Dandasana) and repeat the process with your other hand.
- Repeat this process about 6 to 10 times every day.
Benefits of Bharadvajasana
- Practicing Bharadvajasana consistently helps in extending and fortifying your arms, shoulders, spine, thighs, waist, calf muscles and your lower legs (Ankles).
- It relives in lower back agony, neck torment and sciatica torment.
- It is good remedial for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- It is beneficial in the symptoms of stress.
- It gently massages the organs of abdominal.
- It boosts the digestive system.
- It enhances lungs capacity.
- It stretches belly and reduces the fat of your belly.
- Daily practices help in reducing side fats of your body.
- It improves the blood circulation in body.
In diarrhea or loose motions don’t practice this; people who are facing severe headache or high blood pressure problems are not supposed to attempt this Asana. In conditions of migraine, insomnia or low blood pressure avoid this asana. Please consult a well educated yoga teacher and doctor also before doing asana and Pranayama. If you really want long lasting effects in your body then do Asana and Pranayama with right technique under proper guidance. Don’t perform Any Asana or Pranayama in a wrong manner.